Saturday, June 28, 2008

Coffee Walnut Layer Cake















This week, when I came across an article in the New York Times featuring this Coffee Walnut Layer Cake, there was absolutely no doubt in my mind that I would be making and indulging in it over the weekend! Check out the article by Nigella Lawson, she also shares her Banana Chocolate Chip Tea Cake recipe (yes its from Nov. 2004, but new to me!). http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B06E7DF163EF937A15752C1A9629C8B63&sec=&spon=

The cake was moist and delicious, flavors of coffee and walnuts were so great together. I was surprised that with just a tablespoon of instant coffee that the cake actually had a distinct coffee flavor.

I followed the recipe for the cake religiously. I don't have a food processor (yet!), so I used my blender, which was a bit messy, but worked just fine. Plus the batter was yummy too, so I offered LWTT some, even after protests that it contained raw egg and I could get salmonella etc etc I found myself standing over the sink licking my blender clean! I am not a huge fan of frosting, so for the frosting part I halved the sugar and butter and added about two tablespoons of milk. Even with half the amount of frosting, I had plenty for a layer and also to cover the entire cake.


3 comments:

LisaRene said...

Not a fan of frosting! Frosting is the best part :)

I can understand why this cake appealed to you so much, it sounds (and looks) delicious!

Anonymous said...

Wow... walnuts and coffee great flavors :)

ServesYouRight said...

Looks so sinfully good (sigh)

Smita