Saturday, June 28, 2008

Taco Nights get a Makeover!
















One of the first things that LWTT made for me were Tacos, and soon we would have Taco Night every now and then. While the tacos were great, they were usually from a "taco dinner kit" and reading all the unnecessary items on the ingredients list would give me heart palpitations, so I was on the look out for a healthier option.

I found Blue Corn Taco Shells, and was pleased to see that it was made of blue corn flour and canola oil and nothing else! They are made by Garden of Eatin, I have never heard of them, but will keep an eye out from now on.

Filling:

For the taco filling, I cooked up some ground turkey (about a pound) in about a tablespoon of olive oil with 1 chopped onion, 2 cloves garlic chopped, 1/2 a can of diced tomatoes and seasoned with 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder, salt and pepper with 1/2 a cup of water. I also added some jalapeno. I usually also add parsley or cilantro, but turned out I bought basil as I was in a rush instead. I also made my quick and simple salsa.

Assembly:

Heat taco shells in the oven for 5 minutes or so to make them crispier. Then fill with turkey, salsa and top with cheese (or not).

We enjoyed the tacos with chips and guacamole and some yummy corn that LWTT simply nuked for about 40 seconds or so, and then went on to claim that he made corn! My supermarket simply did not have good avocados, so I found these packets of avocado pulp instead, and the packaging said that all it contained was avocado, lime juice and cilantro. To the pulp I added some chopped tomatoes, onions and jalapeno, lime juice and salt. In taste, the guacamole was close to what I would have made, had I used real avocados, but in texture a lot smoother than what I like.

Overall a great meal, and from now on some what Healthier Taco Nights!

























No comments: