Saturday, April 12, 2008

Banana Stuffed French Toast














I love weekends and weekend breakfasts. I take time to grind some coffee beans and use my french press, and try and make something yummy to go along with my delicious cup of coffee. This weekend I made Banana Stuffed French Toast. I had only made a quick french toast before with no overnight soaking required, so I thought this weekend I would it take it one level up! I found various recipes for stuffed french toast, but adapted the one I found on Real Simple's website. The recipe asked for the stuffed bread to be soaked in the egg and milk mixture overnight, so I did that on Friday with plans to make it for Saturday morning. But I got a last minute call from a friend I had not seen in a while to have brunch on Saturday morning, so I left the stuffed bread to soak for another day and night, and was a bit wary as how to they would taste on Sunday morning. They came out great, and were moist and tasty. I ate them with maple syrup and fresh fruit.

I am new to the blogging world, and came across "Weekend Breakfast Blogging" hosted by Saffron Trail. So I am submitting this post. Here is the link.



http://saffrontrail.blogspot.com/2006/06/weekend-breakast-blogging-fortnightly.html

Ingredients:

Half a loaf of Italian bread (I used a semolina loaf)
1 and 1/2 bananas
Juice of half a lime
1 cup skim milk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons butter for frying

Method:

Mash bananas and mix with lime juice. Cut bread into thickish slices, I got five slices. Cut a slit in the side of each slice and stuff with banana mixture, try and get as much as you can in. I managed to squeeze in about 2 teaspoons. For the end piece cut a slit in the soft part of the bread and stuff with banana mixture. Whisk eggs and add milk and vanilla extract and mix well. Pour egg and milk mixture into a dish and place stuffed bread slices. Turn over the bread slices after five minutes or so, and then cover tightly and store in fridge overnight.















Next morning, take out stuffed bread and leave out for about 10 to 15 minutes to come close to room temperature. Heat butter in a frying pan, and when warmed add the stuffed bread slices. They will be mushy, so you may need to use both hands to make sure they don't break. Pour any excess liquid over stuffed bread. After 1 day and 2 nights of soaking I did not have any! Cook on each side till golden brown and when pressed no liquid seeps through. Serve hot with maple syrup and fresh fruit.




No comments: