Saturday, April 12, 2008

First Date and Almond Samosas

The idea for Date and Almond Samosas came to me after I saw a posting on the Real Simple website.















Real Simple had a recipe for making the regular kind of samosas usually with a potato filling using refrigerated pie crust. So I was contemplating all kinds of alternative fillings. I love dates, the eating variety and other kind! I usually have a little jar of dates on my kitchen counter that I snack on when I have a sweet craving. I am new to the blogging world as well, and came across Sugar High Friday's Asian Sweet Invasion. So the idea for Date and Almond Samosas were born when trying to come up with an idea for a sweet with an Asian Twist as well as my love for Samosas! I will be submitting my creation and am excited to see what happens as this is a first for me... it's ummm... like a first date!

Here is a link to April's Sugar High Friday theme.

http://www.lapetiteboulangette.com/2008/03/shf-asian-sweet-invasion.html


The Date and Almond Samosas tasted great I thought. The crust was a bit salty, and then when you bite into the date and almond filling, its sweet and crunchy and salty all at the same time. When I was taking this picture I wanted one with the filling showing, so I bit into one and then kept eating till there was just a tiny piece left! I can't wait to experiment with other tasty fillings.

Ingredients:

Refrigerated pie crust
1/2 cup peeled and chopped dates
1/4 cup sliced almonds

Method:

In a bowl mix dates and almonds so that almonds are incorporated into the dates. Preheat oven to 400 degree. Unfold pie crust slowly as not to tear. Cut in half, then into fours, and then eight triangular pieces. Scoop about 2 teaspoons of the date mixture onto a triangular piece of dough using two spoons to make a ball. Fold up two corners and join the dough by pinching. Fold the other edge and join as well. Complete this process for all eight triangular pieces. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Place samosas on baking tray and bake in oven for about 25 to 30 minutes or till samosas are light brown in color. Cool Date and Almond Samosas for 10 minutes and serve warm.

Pie crust cut into eight triangular pieces.















Filling the dough with date and almond mixture















Ready for the oven.

No comments: